We are sitting at home but there is a constant urge to eating something.
It’s the most difficult time for all the big foodies out there.
Imagine someone who loves eating but is restricted to just a couple of food items at home.
This is definitely the most horrific thing for them.
In fact, cooking is a good hobby to pursue during the lockdown. It does not only make you self-sufficient but also more confident.
And who knows you might come out as the new chef of the family after lockdown. Lol!
Now after deciding to cook, the problem occurs of what to cook?
We cannot get everything easily in our hands.
Doors are locked and so are streets and shops.
What do we cook then?
How do we cook then?
What options do we have?
Surely these questions will haunt you.
But you don’t have to worry.
We’ve got you. Shhhstuff brings you the list of things that you can easily cook or bake during this lockdown.
FRENCH FRIES/POTATOES FRIES
Potato fries popularly known as french fries are no more French in India. They do not require much time to cook. It’s simple and handy. Even very few ingredients are required to make these delicious fries. And the time taken to cook is also very less.
- Peel off the outer surface of the potato and then wash them.
- Cut them into thin slices of medium sizes. Size can vary as per your choice.
- Then wash them again in tap water.
- Keep the oil on gas.
- Once the oil is hot enough, put the slices in the oil and fry them
Sprinkle some masala on it.
- You can sprinkle salt, chillies or even chaat masala
according to your taste.
Your delicious French Fries is all ready!
HONEY CHILLY POTATO
Not difficult to make, but extremely yummy to eat. The sweet flavour of Honey when mixed with chillies, gives you chills throughout your body.
- Make french fries first.
- The recipe is the first number of our menu.
- Chop ginger, garlic or you can simply use ginger garlic paste and keep some sesame seeds.
- Put some oil in the pan and let it get hot.
- Then add chopped ginger, garlic, capsicum, onion and sesame seeds.
- Saute it for 5 minutes.
- Add some red chilli sauce, tomato ketchup, soy sauce, black pepper powder, red chilli powder and vinegar to the mixture.
- Mix it well. Add fries to the pan.
- Put some honey and mix it well. Add sesame seeds.
Your honey chilly potato is ready to be served!
THE MARVELLOUS SAMBAR
Sambar is not only the favourite dish of South India but also of North India. I am personally a big fan of Sambar. But not getting to eat sambar during lockdown just hit me hard. So I decided to make it myself.
- Take a pressure cooker.
- Heat the oil in it.
- Add curry leaves, mustard seeds and dried red chilli into the cooker. Cook it on low heat.
- Add red chilli powder and salt according to your taste.
- Add chopped onions and bottle gourd. You can add some chopped potato if you like.
- Then add toor dal and water to the mixture. Add hing and sambar masala.
- Now, wait for 3-4 whistles. Let the gas release naturally.
Your awesome Sambar is all ready to be served. You can eat it with rice/idli too!
Curd rice is not only easy to cook, but also very healthy. It’s easy to cook a dish with a lot of health benefits. It is a summer dish with a delectable taste.
- Heat some oil in the pan and add some mustard seeds.
- Add some chopped green chillies along with urad dal and chana dal.
- After the dal gets brownish, add whole red chillies and curry leaves.
- Add this tadka on the curd and rice and mix it well.
Your curd rice is now ready to be tasted.
MIX VEG RICE
Mix veg rice is an Indian dish with immense health benefits. It masala and vegetables used in making pulao are helpful for the whole body. And the perks are that it is easy to make pulao.
- Boil the rice and keep it at aside.
- Next, add some oil in the pan and let it heat.
- Add ginger-garlic paste, haldi, hing, jeera and the chopped vegetables like onion, capsicum, green chillies, tomato and stir them.
- Then add the vegetables like potato, cauliflower, beans, peas, carrot to the rice and stir it well.
- Then add maggi magic masala. It tastes like maggi. (This is optional)
- Your delicacy is ready.
You can have them with anything you want. It’s the most simple way to make mixed veg rice.
These are some of the handy and easy to make dishes that you can make at your home.
They are easy to make and require less time to cook. No lofty vegetables are required.
Just the simple and basic ones. Have fun and a tasty meal.